Monday, November 9, 2009

Chile in The Ojos de Dee: A Guest Entry By Desiree Kowalsky




Our day begins far too earlier than one could imagine. Following a night of excitement with the missioneries..Marc a man like Paul, full of enthusiasm and encouragement can barely contain himself. He beckons us to serve here in Macedonia/Chile. So, Candace and I are full of thoughts, questions, and new ideas and we can barely sleep. We get to bed at 4am…only to wake a few hours later to go in service. We go to the Vina del Mar Kingdom Hall. I think to myself: “Geez this hall looks so familiar, like I’ve seen Brad here on stage.” Hmmm do I smell Stephanie?.... Steph calls an hour later to ask where we are and what our plan is. I tell her our location. She peaks with excitement and says “Oh my goodness were sooo close, yesterday I wanted to see you. Ive got to see you.” She then goes on to say how hard its been to know that we have been in the same country for a couple days without seeing eachother! She tells me that after hanging up the phone she starts jumping with excitement and begins to feel nervous…even shaking. She tells the service group that she has to leave and begins to run to find me.
Words can hardly being to paint the portrait of the hilarity and emotion that occurred the first day. We are taking a brief break in the car trying to recover from our eventful evening. I know that at any moment Stephs face could appear. We realize that we are inside the Kingdom Hall and she wont be able to get in, because the doors our locked. Just then, I look over and see a person trying to get in. I scramble over to see if its her. Low and behold its my friend whom I haven’t seen in almost a YEAR! She’s wrapped in a parka-like jacket, sunglasses, hair lightly disheveled the way we love to see her. Sadly, there are tears in her eyes. We finally see eachother and yet we cant reach one another. A brother comes to help us and asks my dear Steph if she has fallen because of her tears. He opens the door. We embrace. She cries. I cant. Im sooo happy to see this crazy girl. She is shaking, overtaken my beauty I guess. Or just nervous. HA! She tells me of the feat its been to get to me, “ I started jumping up and down, and ran here, several things impeded me.” She told me about the side of the street they were doing construction. They told her to run on the other side. She stopped vehicles. Nearly ran into young children. Jumped over potholes in the road. Well, after moments of hooplah., we are herded into have lunch. Steph doesn’t want to impose on the lunch since she wasn’t technically invited…but they made her, Jenesia, and Vanessa come explaining that there was extra room! They seat Steph and I far across the table from one another. She looks so sad. After the prayer I look at Steph, she is beginning to cry. Im like “Geez this girl. I don’t recall her being this emotional before.” Jenesia gets up and switches seats with me. Unfortunately Steph isn’t crying ‘cuz she desires to be with her long lost friend. She’s crying ‘cuz the prayer the brother gave was so moving and she is happy to see me. So we chat happily with one another. To summate funny moments with steph: try flour in runny eggs, having a part with Steph as she gets up she wacks the microphone I laugh so hard I cant get outta my seat, she has her funny expressions and ways of phrasing various things that no one can. I guess what im trying to say its amazing to be here with this crazy girl. I look forward to the moments mas!

No comments: