Monday, July 23, 2012
Invierno Blues!
Buenas Tardes!!
How is everyone doing?
We are doing pretty good down here. Enduring my first winter in the Patagonia!! Its hard to believe the majority of you are living in 100 degree weather while down here its below freezing! Am I complaining? Maybe! Haha.. but its nice to know that there is only a month or so left of this cold! We have a fireplace that warms up the whole house and heavy duty clothing so we are doing okay! In the morning it takes a little while longer to get dressed because of all the layers to put on! Worth the effort though. I remember looking at different Watchtower articles where people are all bundled up and thinking "Wow. That looks like extreme weather!" But its the norm down here. People say that this winter has actually been pretty calm. Not too much snow. But I'll tell ya...I LOVE seeing little kids all bundled up walking down the street! Even older people. They have their binnies, scarves, gloves, heavy duty jackets, boots...you can't even see their faces as they waddle down the street and its adorable! The streets are real slick because of the ice layer (kinda like black ice)...so we gotta be careful. Other good thing about the cold: NO SPIDERS. No insects at all for that matter. Its wonderful. The cold scares them away. Our house is completely bug free!
Another good thing about the winter: Bible studies! Something about the cold that makes people warmer. We have been having some good experiences lately and I feel like I'm constantly learning new things and trying to be more effective in my ministry.
I think I mentioned a few posts back about a woman that I had visited and left the magazines with that I didn't find again till 6 months? Well..once I found her she was a little bit mad that I hadn't come more regularly to bring her the magazines...she was also mad that I hadn't brought her a bible. I apologized profusely and I asked myself why I didn't go back. I think I tried a few times and gave up thinking she wasn't interested. Not a good excuse. I went back a few days later this time and left her with a Bible. I have never seen someone SO APPRECIATIVE of a bible. She donated and told me this was the first time she has ever had a Bible in her life. (shes around 40 years old) We immediately opened the bible and pointed out how to use it (table of contents, etc). She had already mentioned she didn't want the commitment of a Bible study, so I didn't put any pressure on. The next week I came and she told me she was reading the Psalms and different things that she found interesting. The following week I came and she wasn't home. I left a note saying I was thinking of her with the scripture Proverbs 3:5,6. When I went again, she opened the door with her eyes welled up with tears and said "Thank you for the note!!!! It helped me soooo much!" I started thinking "What note?!" when she showed me the little post-it I had left for her. She had it marking the scripture in Proverbs. Wow!! After that she started opening up with whats going on in her life and she feels like we are there talking to her for a reason. At that point I really felt like the angels had directed us to her. She confessed that we came by before and she hadn't opened the door and she felt so bad and that her husband thinks it really helps her when she talks to us. She said she appreciates our visits and wants to continue to learn about the bible.
I learned the importance of following up and returning on interest even if it doesn't seem like much. Also- the importance of leaving little notes with scriptures for our Return visits/studies..when they're not there. It reminds them that we are thinking of them...and Jehovah as well. We'll see how this Señora does!
In the congregation I have been trying to win over the love of our youngest little brother. His name is Mateo and he's 3 years old. Its unfortunate because we don't have any babies or toddlers in the congregation and Mateo is not quick to give his affections to just anyone! The other day I'm in the hall asking for some brochures after the meeting when I hear a little voice call me.."Stephanie! Stephanie! Come sit down!!" I look to the stage and Mateo is seated at the table where the sisters give their parts and he has 2 microphones ready. I sit down looking around nervously as he takes one microphone and hands me the other and starts having a conversation with me about the bible. (The mic was not on of course!) It was the cutest thing. I felt so satisfied to feel accepted into his world!
Sunday Juanito has a the public talk in the Sign Language congregation. He has gone before, but always with someone interpreting. This time he will be signing! We've got too many languages going on here! The other day we went to visit a couple that speak "Quichua" from Ecuador. We had a friend visit that spoke the language and left them with publications. Juan was left with the call and we went on Friday to see how they were doing. They work in a shop downtown. They have lived in Coyhaique for years so they speak Spanish fluently..but the language of their heart is "Quichua". The woman said she had a personal question for us. Yes? She said she didn't know much about religion because she has never been part of a religion. She wanted to know where our church was and if she goes if she can just sit and listen. She also said she wants to learn more about the Bible and asked if we can visit her in her home!
So much more to write...but not enough time!
Miss you all!
Miss the california summer too!
Can you send some sun my way?
I'll try to upload more pics...honestly haven't been taking a ton...
and it seems like I'm not allowed to upload more!..I'll see what I can do!
Abrazos y Saludos-
Stephanie and Juanito
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment