Monday, February 23, 2009

Mucho Tiempo! Wrapping up in Peru...




Hola Friends!

So...its been a few weeks since the last post and a lot has happened since then! It looks like I am going to have to leave out quite a few details because there is no way to cover everything...but I´ll try to do an abridged version of everything!

We finished up Cuzco with taking a Tour of the Sacred Valley, doing some service and of course travelling to the Maccupiccu! The tour of Sacred Valley ended up working out perfectly because a brother already had 2 witness couples from the Ecuador Branch that he had in his tour group..and Jenesia and I got to be little tag-a-longs! We had such a great time! Both couples were originally from the states and have been servicing at the Branch in Ecuador for years. One couple 13 years..the other.. 40+! They ñmentioned that the currency in Ecuador is the Dollar. I then proceeded to ask what the exchange rate was. Silly me. All eyes were on my as everyone burst into laughter. Ooops! $1=$1. Thats what I learned. Our tour guide was great for 2 reasons. 1)The tour was only $10 for a full day 2)He spoke spanish slowly and clearly. I think Peruvians in general are easier to understand for that reason. My Spanish is still under construction. I need to be making a list of all the things I have said incorrectly...its too long though! At one point I tried to convince the Ecuadorian couples that we should all write a story on our trip to Cusco and Maccupiccu and send it into the Branch as a "contributed" article. When I didnt have any takers on the great idea, I said I would send on in by myself to be published in the Awake and entitle it "My trip to Maccupiccu"..complete with pictures! Ha... laughter filled the tourbus as my dreams were shot down once again! :)
Maccupiccu was amazing. I have seen pictures of this ¨Wonder of the world¨..but I didn´t know what to expect. We got up at 4:00am...actually I was up at 3:00...think I was ¨too excited to sleep¨! Everything has been breathtaking. I´m running out of creative adjectives to describe the beauty of everything. I think I have been using "Breathtaking" so much to describe everything..but I literally am breathless when I see it all. Obviously Jehovahs creation is everywhere..but I have been able to appreciate everything so much more..the magnitude..the depth. Words cant describe..and pictures dont do it justice! Intricate designs. Gorgeous landscapes. You all just have to come and experience it! The day we hiked Maccupiccu the forecast called for heavy downpours. Thankfully...they were wrong. We had some heavy dense fog..but it burnt off in time for some great pictures. Only setback of hike: food and bathrooms were only at the entrance of the park. We took a short break where I managed to sleep on a bench and we continued our adventure. Next time we have to do Waynepiccu! Whos up for it?
Returning back to Aguas Calientes city..we ran into the 2 Ecuadorian couples on 2 seperate occasions! They probably thought we were stalking them...but no..it was total coincendence! We couldn´t stop laughing on how our paths kept crossing.
We returned back to Cuzco were we stayed a few more nights with a kind french couple who served previously in Morocco for 5 years. They have been in Peru a year and have decided to make it their home. Their apartment was very comfortable and we were able to sleep off a good majority of our exhaustion. Unfortunatly...the altitude sickness/flu/or parasite attacked me. I´m telling myself it was just the altitude..not sure if I´m ready for a parasite. I dont even have a name picked out this time! Think I´ll just go with the previous name of Hagar. I´m feeling a while lot better now though...but there were a few non-fun days with long bus rides!I think overall the extensive travelling we are doing is catching up with us. Never in the same place more than 2 nights! But..we are seeing so much...so its worth it!
After Cuzco..we spent a few days in Arequipa with the Bravo family. We got to take a bus tour on the top level and see the city. A lot to take in...and I have no pictures of the day! Brought my camera..but forgot the battery! Just had to take pictures with my ¨heart¨. We went to their Sunday meeting and met some nice brothers and sisters. Even a sister from Austria that offered us a place to stay in Vienna. Yahoo! We got invited to a wedding..but had to decline the invitation because of the bus leaving at 12:30. 8 brothers and sisters had been practicing a special dance for the wedding and we got to watch a few of the practice sessions. Kind of sad not to see the big performance!!
Ok. So currently..we are back in Tacna. The very south of Peru. We have had the privilege of accompanying the Burghoffers the past week in their Circuit work. The first part of last week consisted of visiting a small village called Bourdegania. 4 sisters are serving there..running the show. 2 are leaving soon. Between them... 60 Bible studies!! Us girls all slept in a classroom. We got up early each day for Daily text and breakfast...and then off to service! There were 11 of us in total there helping out.. 22 attended the meeting. Service was amazing. Some that have NEVER talked to witnesses. They openly accepted literature and were willing to talk. Only downfall...SO FREEZING. We were able to manage the cold..but not fashionably. I wore pajama pants under my skirt..tucked into socks..with a hooded jacket...sombrero on top..and a scarf tied around my waist. Can you picture it?! Yóu´ll see the picture! :) We played games all together and sang Kingdom songs that night. So much fun!
The next group we visited was in Sama. 8 publishers. 4 pioneers. Great service as well! Found some very nice people out in the fields. A lot of walking..but worth it!! Had my first soda out of a bag...and used an interesting bathroom for 3 days. The girls we stayed with...Daisy and Olivia are amazing sisters! So sweet...and so selfsacrificing for Jehovah! We were so happy to be able to visit the 2 small groups. They have their work cut out for them for sure!
I know I´m behind on picture uploading...Maccupiccu in particular is going to be out of control! Jenesia is going to use her expertise in videomaking so we can have a Peru slideshow ready for the friends in Chile when we return. I have other ideas to enhance the blog..but just not enough time to carry it out! This thursday we return to Chile!! We have been gone over a month now. Can you believe it?
Jenesia and I are SO grateful to our family, friends and employers..encouraging us..supporting us.. and giving us the opportunity to experience this all! A big thank you!
Hasta luego...

Mucho Amor a todos
Steph and Jenesia

No comments: