Sunday, February 8, 2009

Planes, trains and automobiles!






Hola all!

Well...we made it to Peru...safely. It has been somewhat more of a struggle here tho! I think it all started in the Santiago bus terminal. We were sitting around...eating ice cream...an amazing combo of mint chip and Azul del cielos..super rico...and we looked at the time. 2 Minutes until our buss was to leave. We scrambled to our feet and grabbed our lugguge and made a run for it. Thankfully we had less lugguge, but it was still not the easiest task. I had flashbacks of 3 years ago running thru the terminal with Juan Carlos and Tiana..getting lost. I was intent on NOT losing Jenesia. Thank goodness yet again for the pink lugguge! At one point I accidentally ran into a young girl, said I was sorry, but continued. We made it just in the nic of time. I could tell the conductor was a little irritated but fortunately he stowed our lugguge and we were good to go!

We stayed in Arica(very north of Chile) for the evening with the Jofres...(thanks to Rodrigo and Ila)and had a nice time with the family for the evening. The next day we were supposed to be going straight to Puno, Peru...but that didnt happen. A Chilean man took us over the border along with a couple other women..and he was very helpful. We arrived in Tacna with minimal problems...until they told us our bus was full and we could not leave until the next morning. Peru is also 2 hours behind Chile..which we also didn´t know. Thankfully we had contacts inTacna, Peru and weren´t left hopeless! A witness couple picked us up from the bus station and became our heros! We purchased ticks for the next morn..the gentleman emphasized that we needed to be @ bus station @ 7:30 because the bus left at 8:30am. We spent the evening with the Perez family expressing our gratitude for taking care of us. Jenesia and I have really seen Jehovahs hand in things..us being taken care of...being able to make wiser decisions even if we are lacking the ability to think clearly...tiredness and hunger really take its toll on our thinking ability! That evening we met a couple from the States who were doing Int´l Construction in Chile and afterward they decided they wanted to stay in SouthAmerica. They found out that there was a need in Tacna..so they up and moved to help out. They have been in South America a yr. now and love it.
We woke up the next morning to get to the bus station yet again...and were told the bus already left! We were given incorrect information and became frustrated with the fact that we could not leave until 12 hours later! A man named Miguel tried helping us...but to no avail! We got a taxi and left the station yet again...back to the Perezs. They had thought something serious happened, but when they realized it was just bus miscommunication we decided to make the most of the day and go in service! It went well! Only downfall is that we have been taking these Altitude pills for Puno and Cusco and they leave us exhausted and totally out of it. I have had half of the energy I usually do!
We were taken to a Peruvian resteraunt for lunch. Peruvianfood is phenomenal and oh so cheap! Different currency than Chile. Chile=Pesos Peru= Soles 3 Soles= $1 The resteraunt had a deal that for a drink, appetizer, full meal, dessert, and bread...5 Soles!! $1.60 or so! Not bad at all.
We made it to Puno, Peru safely after a 11 hour bus ride. We slept 4 of the hours. Apparently this is the time of year for their HUGE pagan festival that lasts a week. Not the perfect time to go. And! Its freezing there. We weren´t prepared for the cold. People were looking us as if we were crazy..(again). Since we got to Puno early inthe Morning..we had the whole day to tour. The 10 year old daughter of the family Yucra that we were staying with was our tour guide for the day! We went to the Uros Islands off of Titticaca (haha) and got to see a whole other side of Peruivan culture. Beautiful handcrafted items and Peruvian women in their cultural attire. Unfortunately on the way back...it was sunny. I hadnt put sunblock on because of the cloudy skies. I fell asleep...therefore...I have had a redtomato burnt nose for about 4 days.
We made it to the meeting that night...but felt bad b/c we could barely concentrate with the freezing hall...and exhaustion. After meeting we tried to dethaw while chatting with the other brothers and sisters...such a lovingcongregation. They send their greetings as well! The Yucras took us to a famous pizzeria nearby. So rico! I inquired of the ´¨hot wine´¨ and was SO pleasantly happy with the choice. The flavor was a fruity sangria with a lemon wedge..but hot. Hit the spot. The familia volunteered to take us downtown to see some of the sites...but right when we got in their car...we fell asleep. They knew we needed our rest. I was so dead I told them I would sleep in the car..sounded like a better option than climbing 3 flights of stairs. Didn´t happen.
Next morning we slept in and got ready for the 6 hour bus ride to Cuzco...altho 6 hours rapidly turned into 9. We purchased ticks to the busline ¨Power¨ and the name is completely ironic b/c it is anything BUT power. Lets just say we saw the bus rounding the corner with smoke following it. Lets just say the bus sounded like it was going to break down at any moment or topple over... and it DID!! The breaking down part atleast. I awoke from a nap thinking we had arrived miraculously at our destination when Jenesia looked at me with a slight grin and said ¨Our fear came true¨ I knew I should have taken AutoShop...I could have helped possibly! :) Other setback..bathroom NOT working. Anyone on a roadtrip with me knows I can´t go 3 hours without a bathroom. Oh..and at one point...it rained in one city..and the vent above me..the window...was left opèn..unreachable...raining not on anyone else..but ME! My own personal rain cloud. Okay..more like spinkles..not a downpour. The glory of public transportation. We learned from this experience tho. Do not take the so called cheaper buses that leave every hour..invest the extra $2 more for the nice one..and make sure you are on time. They leave only 2 times a day.
Saturday we arrived in Cuzco. We stayed with a sister from Spain originally that has been serving here for 3 years. She is a lot of fun! An infectious laugh for sure. She picked us up from the bus terminal and nearly got ran over by a bus! Yikes. We arrived at her house pretty late but she planned on making dinner for us and some other special pioneer brothers that are serving in the neighboring hall. The next day we had a tour planned with Yuri...a local brother. He wanted us to start at 5:00am. We vetoed that idea! We told him later was more feasible. We left by 11:30. :) after making french toast...its been a hit..(thanks dad!). We walked around downtown Cuzco which has a huge Inca/Spanish influence. The architecture is amazing..so much culture..that the states are lacking! EVen cobblestone roads! Unfortunately...about 50 of my photos got deleted...but Nessa has been taking just as many. We will try to upload soon! The computer I´m using now is in a cafe and its being difficult!
Sunday nite we had meeting. The KH is one minute from Monicas. 2 Stories and the congregations are rapidly growing! They just split 7 months ago and are anticipating another split. The congregation was very warm as well. I got used to answering the same questions: Name, where I´m from, How long we are here..etc. There are a copule other foreigners from Japan, Spain, and Mississippi. Everyone assumed we would know the girl from Mississippi, but we explained how far we are from eachother. That evening there was a crazy downpour and Monica had a group over again. Chicken and french fries! Nice company.
My fingers are tired! A lot more to cover... you wanted details!! haha.. Thanks for all the responses from everyone..sorry the turnaround time isn´t very quick on the personal emails, but thanks so much for writing! We love hearing from you.
More pictures of course...in time. Maccupiccu tomorrow!!! Hasta luego...

Mucho amor-
Stephanie y Jenesia

1 comment:

TracyB said...

Glad your having a great time and your safe and sound! Look forward to more!!!