Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hemos Llegado! (we have arrived) Jan 15, 2009




Hola Everyone!
We have arrived in the beautiful Santiago, Chile! Yesterday morning actually. We have a 5 hour time difference so we have been a little out of it..so forgive me if I'm not making too much sense. Atleast I have an excuse this time!
Our initial flight to Georgia went well. It was nice because a brother happened to be sitting just across the aisleway. He noticed our KM and publications and struck up a conversation. We had a 7 hour layover in Atlanta Georgia and thankfully got to get out of the airport to sightsee in Georgia for once. Jenesia had a friend of a friend who picked us up. Nicole. She took us to lunch and went for a relaxing walk in the park. It was very nice. The flight to Chile was 9 hours. 1/2 in which we slept. Not too bad at all. Minimalturbulence...making for a successful flight. Saw some beautiful sunrises and sunsets...have been getting the two confused.
Once arrived in Santiago...customs was a breeze. Didn't have to pay the $100 entry tax. Talked w/ the customs gentleman and I actually got really nervous as he spoke to me in Spanish asking me questions. I had this guilt written all over my face for no reason. Thankfully...he let me go w/out problemas. Our lugguge came thru no problem as well...didn't get fined for any food items...I probably could have stowed away coffee afterall!
As we exited we looked for the Bethelites that were picking us up. We scanned the crowds for a Watchtower or our names. NADA. Taxi drivers asked if we needed a ride-we declined. A nicely dressed taxi driver came up and was willing to help us get in contact w/ Bethel w/ his cell phone to see who was picking us up. I became suspicious. We gave him the Bethel#. He started talking to them and said that we had someone on their way that we could wait outside. I still had my suspicions. Finally after 15 min..a man came up to us asking if we were going to bethel.
Intially I thought it was some conspiracy...that this man was coming to take us...not to bethel....but to some other place. We went into this strange parking lot while talking to him....Jenesia didn't seem uncomfortable....so I started to think that I shouldn't be worried. Then I saw it...an AWAKE! in his trunk. I felt better about the situation instantly. He wasn't an imposter. He was a very nice bethelite who took us to our place.

We are staying in an old missionary/bethel home. Its beautiful. Our room is huge! We have morning worship at 7:00am... and there are only 7 of us here right now actually. The caretakers are on vacation currently. The brother that lives here is an inspector for the Kingdom halls all around the country. One sister is here from Bolivia helping take care of an older sister living here. Then..there are 3 sisters from Florida. We have had a blast w/ all of them! Eating meals together...talking...doing Zumba...its made for a successful few days! There is even a kingdom hall in the same building! We are going tomorrow.
Today was a great day! We did morning workship which was great...(awesome text today)Its over the phone from the Bethel in Santiago. After a much needed siesta we headed towards the Bethel via the Metro. We were under the impression that the lunch was at 12:30...not so much. We had a phonecall telling us we were late!... We RAN from the subway in our skirts ...looking like crazy gringas trying to get into the bethel. We arrived late...and walking into the cafeteria looking VERY frazzled...and of course somewhat sweaty from the running in the hot sun. Jenesia sat at a different table from me. The meal consisted of fish and this spinich cream topping..and salad. I was already feeling self-conscious because of the beads of sweat forming....but then I became aware of the fact that I most likely had spinich in my teeth as well. Yikes! I had a feeling no one would tell me either. I didn't smile too much needless to say! Janel and Joel were at the other end of the table from me. So good to see them! We got invited to "once"...after lunch to have coffee w/ some of the Bethelites. Intially I thought they were joking...the sister sitting across from me said "You can come back to our apartment for some HOT coffee" I thought she was being sarcastic. I said "NO way!!!" She had to see that I was still sweating profusely from our run. I started fanning myself. Apparently she wasn't joking at all...sarcasm is not that big in Chile. :) We went to their apartment for HOT coffee...but it was good and by the time we got there I cooled down...but my embarrassment remained. Janel came on the tour w/ Jenesia and I and we got to see some of the new editions to bethel and see some familiar faces. I took tons of pictures. I will upload them soon...can't find my camera currently tho!
After our tour us girls went to the nearby mall and found a Starbucks. Yahoo!! We sat and caught up w/ Janel for a few hours. It was nice! A man nearby came up to us and asked us if we were witnesses and said we looked familiar. Jenesia had met him years ago when she was here. Such a worldwide brotherhood!
Joel picked us up at the mall around dinner time and we went back to Bethel for dinner. They were having a going away party for a family. The congregation is splitting...and one sister is moving down 15 hours south to pioneer and help out a congregation there. It was nice...we had tortas...(sandwiches)...some juice...fresh fruit..and MANJAR w/ bread.. Yahoo!! The manjar is back! After eating and drinking...we all went for a walk to this pond behind bethel...to see the ducks and just be outside...it doesn't get dark till 9:00 here. Us girls found some swings to swing on nearby... Overall a nice evening!
Which brings me to now. I'm up on the roof (only place to get WiFi)...typing away while everyone is sleeping. The last District Convention is this weekend. Too bad its not international! Jenesia and I are going to go for the day on Saturday...then after...una fiesta en la casa that we are staying at. We move to another location tomorrow! Our time is up at the Bethel! Sad. :( Tomorrow is morning worship..and then servicio w/ Janel. Then a little relaxation in the afternoon at the pool. Then...meeting tomorrow night. We leave Santiago completely on Sunday or Monday for Donihue. Its about an hour from here...and we will be there for 2 weeks preaching and staying w/ a family we know. From there...in February...Peru! So there is a little itinerary. Miss you all. Let us know how you are doing! starrystefers@yahoo.com or jenesial@hotmail.com

Time for sleep. Goodnite!

Ciao ciao-
Stephanie

3 comments:

Jules said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jules said...

Hola my love! So glad you made it safely, I was thinking about you all day on Tuesday. Sounds like you're having a great time already. I can imagine the beads of sweat dripping down your forehead and your spinach covered teeth so very vividly! Haha! Only you Steph! Can't wait to read more posts about your exciting adventures! Be safe. Love ya!

Unknown said...

Hi Steph! Sounds exciting so far! So glad your taxi driver was not a criminal! :) I bet that Starbucks was like an oasis..
Can't wait to read all about your travels and adventures!